My Main Issue With Bohemian Rhapsody

Hey. The Queen movie, right? The Freddie Mercury extravaganza. Bohemian Rhapsody. That's the ticket. I saw it and it  fie over all. Nothing great. Didn't shed any particular light on Mercury's life or career and barely gave lip service to anyone else in the band. Most of the reviews I have read have focused on how formulaic it is, and I can't disagree, but it was entertaining and I have to agree with everyone that Rami Malek killed it. Also, that gag with Michael Myers about teens in cars was priceless. In no way is this film a bad way to spend a night.


All the same, I have a problem. Oddly, I haven't seen anyone else mention it* and I can't help not focusing on it. So, I'll just complain here.


You know the standard rock biopic formula: humble beginnings to breakout fame to inevitable breakdown due to hubris, disappointment and drugs to redemption and one last hurrah on stage. As many others have said, BR follows this formula to a T. Except for one bit. The breakdown bit. The "our boy done fucked up" bit.


But, they did not focus on the hubris or the drugs this time.


Instead, structurally, this section begins at the same point that we see Freddie coming to terms with and acting upon his bisexuality, specifically in regards to his attraction to men. Yes, he is drinking heavily and doing just all of the drugs during this point in the film. Yes, he alienates his bandmates with his self-centered arrogance. But the movie does not fixate on any of those points. They act more as background to his relationship with Paul Prenter and how far Freddie falls off during this period.


Given the heavy focus on obeying the standard structure of these films, I have a hard time seeing this as an accident. This structure is heavily contrived, anyways, and a conscious decision was made to vere from the usual given source of the main character's fall from grace. It feels like somebody, somewhere in the course of making this film, felt it vital to place Mercury's attraction to men as his fatal flaw and I'm not a fan.


Before you jump on me over it, I do acknowledge that they try to backpedal a bit on this with showing his relationship with Jim Hutton, someone who stayed by Mercury's side throughout the remaining years of his life. Heck, there is that great moment where Mary and Jim share this glance as they connect over their shared affection for Mercury that could be a great way to show a positive side to his bisexuality. But, those are short bits and his relationship with Jim is glossed over. I'm just not buying it.


This kind of crap can fuck off.


*Admittedly, my friend's daughter also pointed this issue out. Full credit due, Summer.

Comments